- CMA Magazine, Spring 2013. Photo page
- Craig Nixon, Acoustic Levitation Read Listing
On Hwang’s inventive compositions from their latest project, Crossroads Unseen, they played with the cohesion and precision of an ensemble with a strong intuitive sense of each others’ musical imaginations.
- Arlene and Larry Dunn, icareifyoulisten.com, December 1, 2012 Read Full Review
- Time Out NY, November 25, 2012 See Listing
Violinist/composer Jason Kao Huang was one of many musicians pulling double and triple duty, performing a fascinating set of his own dense compositions with his with his Edge quartet Wednesday, then regrouping with the quartet, as well as Edgefest curator and mezzo-soprano Deanna Relyea and reedman Piotr Michalowski.
- Will Stewart, annarbor.com, November 4, 2012 Read Full Review
Building dense improvisations over Hwang’s complex frameworks, the quartet was almost mathematical as members traded solos and offered insistent accompaniment, frequently building to musical climaxes that as irresistible as they were technically brilliant.
- Will Stewart, annarbor.com, November 1st, 2012 Read Full Review
… boldly emotional writing that has Filiano and Hwang phrasing together over deep rumbling by Drury.
- The International Association of Jazz Record Collectors, Volume 45, No. 2, June 2012 Read Full Review
- Chamber Music America Magazine, May, 2012 Read Announcement
The third outing by adventurous violinist Jason Kao Hwang’s avant-chamber-jazz group Edge, Crossroads Unseen, consists of five pieces showcasing the stunning extended vocabulary of each member of the quartet.
- Jazz Times, Shaun Brady - March 26, 2012 Read Full Review
Swings the thing on Crossroads Unseen, but it flows organically from the writing…
- Ken Waxman, Jazz Word, May 16, 2012 Read Full Review